Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Oliver's Procedure and 4th of July

Oliver had his laryngoscopy and bronchoscopy on Wednesday and he did great!  There was no scarred tissue below the vocal folds that would be causing any respiratory issues and the vocal folds did not appear to be paralyzed.  There was a scarred tissue band between the folds that they removed.  They will have to repeat the procedure in 8 weeks to see if the band is growing back.  Oliver was fine afterwards, just a little cranky.  He was hard to wake up after the anesthesia and had to stay on the IV for awhile longer than planned because he was stubborn about showing them he could take a drink/swallow okay.  You cannot talk him or bribe him in to anything he doesn't want to do!  Some of his old NICU nurses checked on him while he was there and they all spoke highly of this new doctor, so hopefully he is in good hands.  I can't hear any difference with his voice yet, but may take some more time.  Here he is before they took him back...
He was so good that after a few days of him having no problems, I decided last minute to take him on a little trip for the weekend and 4th of July.  It was fun.  Emerald Isle was beautiful and I would like to explore more of the outer banks one day!!  Oliver loved playing in the sand and running from the waves.  He also had a great time playing in the pool and watching fireworks!  He loves water balloons, so I helped him do the water balloon toss and I even let him hold a sparkler (that was very hard for me)!  

No comments:

Post a Comment